Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Epiphany of the day...

Mood: Tired, frustrated
Music: Losing All Control - Rooney

Well not really an epiphany of the day, because I don't have an epiphany everyday... but you get what I was hinting at. So anyway, my epiphany for the day comes about after watching an episode of VH1's All Access, which posed the question, How Thin is Too Thin? In this day and age, girls everywhere are expected to drive themselves to drop weight. Movie stars are often idolised and girls, in particular teenagers, expect themselves to live up to the expectations given by those movie stars. Unfortunately, these idols do not seem to have a firm grasp of reality. Many of them drive themselves to lose weight so that they are ridiculously and unhealthily thin.

What is the female fascination to be thin? Isn't it some strange connection in the human brain that somehow connects thin within beauty? In essence, I believe that the need to be thin stems from the basic human need to mate. Everyone wants to be loved, and the fear of being unloved is a scary one, which is present in every human. Loving is a part of humanity and everyone, in particular females, are looking for that special someone. Do women feel a need to be thin and beautiful because of a fear that if they are not gorgeous, men will overlook them? Do they fear that they're soulmate will pass them by? Who knows.

Studies have shown that girls as young as 5 feel that they are too fat. This study signals the beginning of a sad sad era. By needing to be thin, are we affecting a new generation? Are we setting unattainable goals for the following generations and making them more insecure? With rates of eating disorders increasing, the mental stability of our generation is at risk. Eating disorders affect not only those suffering, but those around the ones suffering. Sometimes there is a need to walk on eggshells around victims of eating disorders, and there is a constant lack of trust. If they lie about an eating disorder, what else are they capable of lying about?

I will admit, that in those dark times of insecurity and doubt, I have looked in the mirror and considered myself to be fat. Thankfully, those moments are few and far between. However, on rare occasions I have been driven to start dieting. Once again, thankfully, my lack of commitment in that sort of area wins out. Common sense does eventually kick in. After calculating my BMI I have discovered I am the perfect weight for my height, information which is often comforting. So I urge any females who read this, calculate your BMI, if your weight is normal, be happy with that. Even if it's not, you're still gorgeous and I'm sure your loved ones see you that way. I know it sounds corny, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but a smile is you best accesory. :)

One last thing on this rant of mine, please please please people, buy clothes that fit the body you have and not the body you want. I guarantee it will improve your whole look. There is nothing worse then seeing a girl wearing pants that are way way too tight or a streched out top.

Stay happy people!
Chars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home